On one popular fitness website, members on the site’s forum debated the benefits of calisthenics versus lifting weights. The discussion continued until it became clear that both approaches to exercise worked. The main difference between the two? Calisthenics doesn’t require using added weights.
Common calisthenic exercises include push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, crunches, jumping jacks, squats and dips. These fitness moves are just a few of the exercises you can do using your bodyweight to build and sculpt the body you want—no gym membership needed.
Below are some additional benefits of these time-tested physique builders:
- Calisthenics can be done anywhere and anytime; all you need is enough space to work out.
- Almost anyone in reasonably good health can perform calisthenic exercises.
- No equipment is needed to do calisthenics.
- Calisthenics can improve overall body strength.
- Calisthenic exercises can work several muscle groups at once.
- Like most fitness activities, calisthenics can improve mental health.
- Calisthenics can relieve minor aches and pains.
- Calisthenic exercises can improve the health of your heart and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.