Wanna lose weight? Popping pills may not help you achieve the body of your dreams. Researchers tested three popular weight-loss pills deemed for long term use—Meridia, Reductil and Accomplia—and found that although modest amounts of weight were lost, most obese users remained obese and that the drugs had serious side effects including raised blood pressure and pulse rates, insomnia and nausea.
Why not try a scientifically proven approach whose side effects are strong, lean muscles, a healthy heart and a lower Body Mass Index? RH suggests the following:
- Moderate exercise three days or more a week for at least 30 minutes
- Two or more days of resistance or weight training
- Two or more days of yoga, Pilates or Chi-Gong
- Watch those calories!
- Diet rich in fiber, fruits, vegetables, omega 3s, lean proteins and whole grains
- Cut back on fatty foods, processed meats, trans fats, sugar, salt and white enriched flour
For more information, read the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) tips on losing weight safely.