Girls with curly tresses often cry about their hair’s tendency to get dry and frizzy. Their more delicate curls make them more susceptible to hair damage and split ends. But this special hair care regimen from Livestrong.com promises to leave your crunchy curls hydrated and well moisturized.
- Wash hair with shampoo formulated for dry, curly hair. Also, shampoo less frequently to avoid stripping hair and scalp of natural oils. And use warm not hot water to wash hair. Too-hot water dries hair out, causing increased frizziness.
- Use conditioners specifically for dry, curly hair after shampooing. Leave conditioner in hair for 5 minutes. Follow with a cool-water rinse to close pores and seal the hair cuticle. This makes for shiny, smooth hair.
- Air dry hair and blot excess moisture with an absorbent towel. Apply leave-in conditioner then use a wide-tooth comb to evenly distribute and remove tangles or knots and let hair dry naturally. Don’t use a hair dryer; it can increase dryness and frizziness.
- Moisturize hair with a weekly deep conditioning treatment designed for curly hair. Best bets? A deep conditioning hair mask or intensive protein treatment gets you great results. Cover hair with plastic wrap or shower cap; leave the conditioner on for 20 minutes and rinse.
- Apply an anti-frizz serum. Layer on when hair is completely dry to add shine and reduce frizz.
- Trim your ends every six to eight weeks. It’s also good to get frequent small trims to remove split or dead ends without losing length.
Click here to watch model and entrepreneur Kara Young discuss how she handles her naturally curly hair.