You Never Get a Second Chance to Make Your First Impression
You are walking down a crowded city street and you look up and there coming toward you among all the faces is this woman who is walking confidently with a bounce in her step and she is smiling. The energy coming from this woman is contagious. You smile as you pass her by. You feel lifted. For that moment, your first impression of this stranger was very positive. Her gift to you, even as a stranger, was an inspired moment.
Clearly, the most influential attractive asset a person has is the power of a smile. It exudes warmth, authenticity, and confidence. Now imagine how that might affect a job interview. A sales call. A presentation. A speech. A healthy, bright smile reflects the self care in one’s personal health and grooming - the mark of a sound personal lifestyle that can be advantageous to a person’s career.
In fact, a recent study published in the Journal of Economic Psychology, University of California researchers found that more attractive people make more money. A healthy smile speaks volumes about how a person takes pride in their oral care, which also demonstrates their overall care and nurturing of their whole body health and well-being. This then carries over to less illness at work, being more productive and making healthier decisions at work.
People will trust someone more who exhibits proper self care. So, whether it’s a potential employer or a potential client you have been pursuing for weeks - you want to put your best impression forward when meeting these people - because it will translate to more money (income) for you and your loved ones.
As a cosmetic dentist, I truly believe I am in the self esteem and life improvement business. Given that, I’d like to recommend these 5 important oral hygiene actions that will surely support your path to financial prosperity:
1. Be consistent with your 6 mos check-ups. If you have an important presentation, job interview, or speech to make - schedule a check up and cleaning right before these.
2. Look at your options for teeth whitening or if more extensive treatment is needed, have a smile makeover. If you weren’t born with a beautiful smile there are steps to take to get the smile you’ve always dreamed of having.
3. Make sure your breath is at its freshest. No one likes to be close to someone who has bad breath. Most people don’t realize that bad breath frequently starts with the tongue. Use a tongue scraper daily!
4. Brushing and flossing not only prevents gum disease and decay, but new research shows that it may also help to prevent heart attacks and strokes.
5. Think about wearing a Night Guard. Many people nowadays grind their teeth during sleep. This wears down the edges of your teeth giving you a very aged appearance. If you want to have a beautiful smile and look younger than your age, protect the edges of your teeth!
Remember, you never get a second chance to make a great first impression.